STC-Nursing Allied Health Campus
1101 E. Vermont- 4th floor 4.318
McAllen, TX 78503
Phone: (956) 872-3011
- Start: Fall 2014 Full Time
- Location: NAHC, Mid-Valley and Starr County
- 3 semester program - 46 Credit Hours
Vocational Nursing Application
Vocational Nursing Program Application are available on-line:
January 7, 2014 through February 7, 2014
The following applications will be posted:
- Application (A): New Applicants
- Application (B): Re-Entry Student Application
- (Note: Application (B) is for those students previously accepted and enrolled into the VN program but were unable to complete the program.)
For more information, please contact:
Suzy Castellanos at (956) 872-3011
Liz San Roman at (956) 447-6632
For immunization and background checks, please contact:
Maria Ramos at (956) 872-3022
This intensive three semester program offers classroom instruction and related clinical practice in the four basic areas of nursing care: adults, mothers and newborns, children, and the elderly. Graduates of this program will have a wide array of opportunities for providing nursing care for patients in structured health care settings. Patients cared for by Vocational Nurses typically are experiencing common, well-defined health problems with predictable outcomes. Students seeking entry in the Vocational Nursing program must file a specific program on-line application and complete additional admission procedures as required (see VN advisor for specific criteria, courses and procedures).
Degrees & Certificates
Cost of Program
|Tuition & fees:||$5,668.00|
|Books & supplies:||$2,789.00|
|On-Campus Room & Board:||Not Offered|
Length of Program
|Intended time to complete:||12 months|
|% of graduates who completed on time:||14%|
|Jobs related to this program:|
|. Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses||O*NET|
|Median debt from federal loans:||$0|
|Median debt from private educational loans:||$2,777|
|Median debt from institution financing plan:||$0|
|% Job Placement of Graduates||87%|
Potential Job Settings
- Medical Offices from General/Specialist
- Home Health
- Average Wage: $13.00/hour
- Top Earners: $23.00/hour
- All applicants must meet general admission requirements to South Texas College.
- Must have a high school transcript, GED and or HS equivalency on file with STC Admissions office
- Demonstrate proficiency in state-mandated general knowledge content through approved means; i.e., Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA), ACCUPLACER, ASSET, COMPASS and/or course work with program specific exemptions accepted.
- Attend VN program advisement sessions at Mid-Valley campus or Nursing Allied Health.
- Submit a completed Vocational Nursing program application.
- Earn a minimum grade of "B" in Mathematics for Allied Health and Anatomy & Physiology courses.
- Satisfy program specific requirements for clinical practice. (i.e. Drug Screening, Criminal Background Checks, Immunizations, CPR, etc.)
Note: Selection criteria of the vocational nursing program is based on a point system of grade point average and courses completed.
Qualified applications are ranked from highest to lowest points.
Due to program size limitations, a number of applicants who meet the program admissions requirements may not be admitted to the program.
Site Selection: Site placement (Starr, Mid-Valley, and McAllen) is determined following group ranking of the applicant pool. Students are given the opportunity to select a program site in the acceptance letter.
If more accepted applicants are given for a particular site, preference is given to the home address in ranking order. Students that cannot be accommodated at their home site will be given a second site preference according to ranking.