Students are trained for employment as entry-level radiologic technologists in hospitals, outpatient imaging centers, mobile imaging services, and additional medical facilities. Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination for Radiologic Technology administered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). Successful completion of this exam results in the designation of the title as a Registered Technologist in Radiography, or R.T. (R) (ARRT). The state of Texas also requires that individuals approved to sit for the national certification examination also apply for state licensure before being allowed to practice in this state.
- Start: A new class begins every Fall Semester
- Delivery: Daytime, full-time classes
- Application Deadline: Fourth Friday in May for Fall term
- Location: NAHC
- Student Advising Sessions: Students are required to attend an advising session given by the Radiology Program prior to application. To schedule an advising appointment, please email Angie Reyes. View the session schedule: RADT Advising Sessions.
CT Certification Program:
Next course offering to be announced.
Radiographers will work in hospital settings, clinic settings.
- Starting Wage: $18 - $19/hour
Exam / Application Requirements
Graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination for Radiologic Technology administered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). The State of Texas requires that individuals approved to sit for the national certification exam also apply for state licensure before being allowed to practice in this state.
- Meet general admission requirements to South Texas College.
- Have a High School diploma or GED.
- Be TSI Complete or TSI Exempt via State approved exam scores.
- Complete the ACT exam including the writing component. Achieve an ACT composite of 19 or above and a minimum of 16 in all individual areas (English, Math, Reading, and Science). ACT Writing score must be a 6 or above. Scores must be current within the last 5 years. ACT exemptions are not permitted.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "B" as listed in the Radiologic Technology Program degree plan. BIOL 2401 and Mathematics Elective courses must be current within the last 5 years. RADR 1309 must be current within 2 years from the application date.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all courses listed in the Radiologic Technology degree plan. This includes courses completed through South Texas College and transfer courses.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Participate in student advisement per program requirements. Students are required to attend advising sessions held by the Radiologic Technology Program faculty and staff at the Nursing & Allied Health Campus.
- Submit a completed Program application by the stated deadline.
- Pass a background check and drug screen through approved providers. Students with criminal histories must provide proof of certification eligibility from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) prior to application.
- Meet technical standards as stated by the Radiologic Technology Program.
- Satisfy healthcare agency requirements prior to clinical practice.
Students who have met the above requirements may submit their application. Applications will be evaluated through a competitive selection process. Due to program size limitations, meeting application requirements does not guarantee admission into the program.
Program Selection Process
Admission to the Radiologic Technology Program is based on a point system score. Selection of students is made one time a year at the end of the spring semester. The deadline for applying to the Radiologic Technology Program is the last Friday in May of the current year. For specific information on the point system utilized for candidate selection, please contact the Radiologic Technology Program at 956-872-3049 or access the information online at http://nah.southtexascollege.edu.
|Bird, Crystal - Program Chair||cbird||956-872-3101||NAHC 1502|
|Arteaga, Claudia||carteaga_1641||956-872-3085||NAHC 1.602|
|Cuellar, Linda||rcuellar2||956-872-3134||NAHC 330|
|Marroquin, Mildred||mmarroquin||956-872-3185||NAHC 1602A|
|Sauceda, Eunice T.||esauceda_1095||956-872-3108||NAHC 329|
|Reyes, Angie - Faculty Secretary||reyesang||956-872-3049||NAHC 131|