This intensive three semester program offers classroom instruction and related clinical practice in the four basic areas of nursing care: adults, mothers and newborns, children, and the elderly. Graduates of this program will have a wide array of opportunities for providing nursing care for patients in structured health care settings. Patients cared for by Vocational Nurses typically are experiencing common, well-defined health problems with predictable outcomes. Students seeking entry in the Vocational Nursing program must file a specific program on-line application and complete additional admission procedures as required (see VN advisor for specific criteria, courses and procedures).
- Start: Fall Term
- Application Deadline: Second Friday in February for Fall term
- Location: NAHC, Mid-Valley and Starr County
- 3 semester program - 46 Credit Hours
Vocational Nursing Application
For more information, please contact: Suzy Castellanos at (956) 872-3011 OR Liz San Roman at (956) 447-6632
For immunization and background checks, please contact a Clinical Affairs Specialist at (956) 872-3022
Potential Job Settings
- Medical Offices from General/Specialist
- Home Health
- Average Wage: $13.00/hour
- Top Earners: $23.00/hour
The VN Program will be accepting applications from January 2016 to Mid-February 2016.
- All applicants must meet general admission requirements to South Texas College.
- Must have a high school transcript, GED and or HS equivalency on file with STC Admissions office
- Demonstrate proficiency in state-mandated general knowledge content through approved means; i.e., Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA), ACCUPLACER, ASSET, COMPASS and/or course work with program specific exemptions accepted.
- Attend VN program advisement sessions at Mid-Valley campus or Nursing Allied Health.
- Submit a completed Vocational Nursing program application.
- Earn a minimum grade of "B" in Mathematics for Allied Health and Anatomy & Physiology courses.
- Satisfy program specific requirements for clinical practice. (i.e. Drug Screening, Criminal Background Checks, Immunizations, CPR, etc.)
Note: Selection criteria of the vocational nursing program is based on a point system of grade point average and courses completed.
Qualified applications are ranked from highest to lowest points.
Due to program size limitations, a number of applicants who meet the program admissions requirements may not be admitted to the program.
Site Selection: Site placement (Starr, Mid-Valley, and McAllen) is determined following group ranking of the applicant pool. Students are given the opportunity to select a program site in the acceptance letter.
If more accepted applicants are given for a particular site, preference is given to the home address in ranking order. Students that cannot be accommodated at their home site will be given a second site preference according to ranking.
|Mora, Daphine - Program Chair||daphine||956-872-3135||NAHC 4.314|
|Alonzo, Maria||mdalonzo||956-447-6640||Mid-Valley B201D|
|Ayala, David||dayala2||956-872-3167||NAHC 4.342|
|Ayala-Vargas, Margo||mavargas-ayala||956-447-1211||Mid-Valley B201A|
|Colegado, Zelda||zcolegad||956-872-3009||NAHC 4.338|
|Countryman, Karen||kcountry||956-872-3086||NAHC 4.334|
|Dalida, Gwen||dalidag||956-872-3131||NAHC 4.322|
|De La Cruz, Judith C. Sevilla||jsdelacruz||956-872-3104||NAHC 4.330|
|Deree, Jamie||ljaime1||956-973-1053||Mid-Valley B201I|
|Garcia, Edna||egarcia_2508||956-447-6642||Mid-Valley B201B|
|Garza III, Victor||victorg||956-447-6643||Mid-Valley B201E|
|May, Delphia||dkmay||956-973-1066||Mid-Valley B201C|
|McGill, Vickie||vmdickey||956-447-6690||Mid-Valley B201H|
|Miller, Rebecca||rjmiller1||956-872-3128||NAHC 3.342|
|Moctezuma, Eloisa||emoctez1||956-488-6986||Starr E 1.408|
|Salinas, Cynthia||csalinas1||956-488-5860||Starr E 1.408|
|Vargas, Sylvia||smvargas||956-872-3042||NAHC 4.334|
|Wingard, Annette||awingard||956-872-3127||NAHC 4.344|
|Castellanos, Suzy - Faculty Secretary||sscastell||956-872-3011||NAHC 4.318|
|May, David - Lab Assistant||dmay||956-973-1071||Mid-Valley B202|
|Saenz, Anna - VN Lab Coordinator||arsaenz||956-872-3056||NAHC 4.414|
|San Roman, Elizabeth - Faculty Secretary Mid-Valley||hooks||956-447-6632||Mid-Valley B201|
Location: NAHC 4.314
Pecan & Starr County Campuses:
Location: NAHC 1.318
Elizabeth San Roman
Location: Mid-Valley B-202