Graduates of the Respiratory Therapy Program at South Texas College earn an Associate of Applied Science degree. The program is five semesters in length and combines classroom, laboratory and clinical education experiences. The program will prepare the student's knowledge, skills, and ethical attitude that will culminate in successful employment of the graduate as a licensed respiratory therapist. The student will complete and pass exit exams for graduation in preparation to take their national boards.
Note: This is a selective admission program based on a competitive point system.
- Delivery: Full time day classes and clinical rotations
- Start: Fall Semester (application in Spring of the semester)
- Location: Nursing and Allied Health Campus and hospital clinical sites
Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, Texas 76021-4244
817-283-2835 or 1-800-874-5615
CoARC ID# 200527
Respiratory Therapist work in various locations within hospital settings which include the Emergency Room (ER), Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Surgery and medical floors. Others work in nursing care facilities and physician's offices. Home Health Care is also a demand area that employs therapist. DME (Durable Medical Equipment) companies and some pharmacies employ Respiratory Therapist on a full-time and part-time basis.
- Average Wage: $27.14/hour
- Top Earners: $80,440/year
Program Application/Admission Requirements
All applicants must:
- Participate in the required Prospective Student Information Session. For the session schedule, access the information online at http://nah.southtexascollege.edu or contact the Respiratory Therapy Program at (956) 872-3023.
- Be admitted to the college as a high school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Meet TSI College Readiness Standards, or meet TSI exemption standards.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a minimum of "B" as listed in the Degree plan.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, on a 4.0 scale.
- Science coursework listed in the degree plan must be within the past 5 years of nursing clinical courses. For more information contact the NAH Clinical Affairs Specialist at 872-3022.
- Pass a criminal background check, 10-panel drug screen through approved providers, and complete all required immunizations including Hepatitis B series.
- Meet Technical Standards as stated by the Program
- Submit a completed Program application by stated deadline. For more information contact Respiratory Therapy Program at 872-3023 or access the information online at http://nah.southtexascollege.edu
|Pena, Gabriel - Program Chair||gpena141||956-872-3021||NAHC 423|
|Chong-Menard, Betty - Clinical Director of Education||bchong-menard1||956-872-3071||NAHC 422|
|Carpenter, Darcy||dcarpent||956-872-3087||NAHC 412|
|Rodriguez, Ramsey||rrodriguez_6629||956-872-3181||NAHC 421|
|Salazar, Melissa - Faculty Secretary||msalaz52||956-872-3023||NAHC 411|